"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Throw the "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda's" Away Today!



We all say it, don't we?  "If only I..."

It seems normal to say.  Looking back at the past and wondering how our lives would be different, "If".  We all have some baggage from our past; decisions we wish we could change; finances we wish we had handled differently; mistakes we grieve; words we wish we had not said...

 I was the queen of "baggage" and "If only's", but God is changing my heart and renewing my mind - bringing me freedom.  The other day, while in prayer, I heard Him say, "Throw the woulda, coulda, shoulda's away today!"  Hmmm...is it really that easy?  Not always, but our mindset can change if we look at the past with thanksgiving instead of regrets.  Below are a couple of Scriptures regarding this very topic:

“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past” (Isaiah 43:18)

“But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).

God is for us!  He does not want us to look back and say, "I wish I would have...".  He wants us to look back and say, "Look at what God did!"  Our past should be a testimony of His love, grace, and Sovereignty.

As I pondered this thought while still in bed during the morning hours, I decided to make this practical.  What would it look like in my circumstances:

"I should have never sold our farm." vs. "I am so thankful I had the opportunity to experience farm life."

"I wish I never would have moved to..." vs. "I am so thankful to have had the opportunities to live in ______, as I made life long friends where I ministered to others and others ministered to me."

"If I would have known the severity of her needs, I would not have adopted Brooklynne."  vs.  "I am so thankful that God knew exactly who Brooklynne's family should be and that He uses her to teach me to love well."

"I wish I would have never gotten into financial trouble." vs. "I am so thankful that God allowed me to go through financial hardships so that I could see Him provide miracles."

"I wish I would not have lost my mom under such tragic circumstances." vs.  "I am thankful for the time I had with my mom, and I would not change what happened, as in this time of tragedy/loss, God showed me how to forgive and drew me closer in intimacy with Him."

Do you see how this works?  If you are having trouble forgetting yesterday's woulda, coulda, shoulda's, just start making a list and turn them around into thankfulness.  It works.  It really works!  And it brings such freedom by relieving unnecessary heavy burdens that we do not need to carry.

We need to let the past go; live a life of thankfulness and love in the present; and look ahead to the prize in the future.  I pray that this is an inspiration and blessing to you all.

Have a wonderful night, folks.

Tori Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment