"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The "Going Home" Miracle...





Good Morning!  As, previously mentioned in prior posts - my current readers know that I have started a series on how, through miracles, God provided for my family during the difficult years of 2007-2009.  If this is your first time visiting, please go back and read the previous posts to catch up on all of our background information.  :)

If you have read parts 1-4, you can probably understand how tired we were from the years of trials and heartache.  You know how sometimes you feel like you just need a fresh start?  We sure did.  How God moved in February/March of 2009 was really, and I mean REALLY, a miracle.

Well...let's begin!

But first a side note:  Did you know that I am a native to Iowa?  I was born in Waterloo.  Only lived in Iowa the first year or so of my life.  Then my folks moved to Illinois - where I lived 38 years of my life.  Almost all of my extended family live in Iowa.

As you know, we were living in central IL.  In November, 2008, my four brothers and their families made the drive from Iowa to come to my home for Thanksgiving.  I was so blessed to have them over.  I love my brothers dearly and realized just how much I missed being close to them.

Fast forward to February 2009.  My brother, Brandon, had bought a flip house in Muscatine, IA, that he was working on to obviously turn around and sell.  Also, his wife was pregnant at that time.  I was talking with him on the phone one February day, and joked around with him saying that he should rent us his flip house, and I could babysit for the new little one to come.  As I got off the phone and pondered what it would be like to live near my family, it made me most happy, and got me to thinkin'!  ;)

After being off the phone a while, I gathered the children together and casually asked them, "Would you like to live near your uncles?"  I then proceeded to tell them about my conversation with Brandon.  Nothing more to it, so I thought.

Well, less than a half hour later, the children came downstairs chanting, "Let's move to Iowa.  Iowa rules!"  They were dressed head to toe in Hawkeye apparel and had made signs saying, "Iowa Rules!"  No joke.  (We have ALWAYS been Hawkeye fans.)  :)

Later that night (a Monday I believe), when Brent got home from work, I told him all about our afternoon.  He rather liked the idea.  But honestly, how could we ever move?  We had no money.  We had no credit due to the bankruptcy.  And, how would my husband find a job?

The next night (Tuesday), Brent came home from work with some news.  (If you remember, he was the service manager for our local John Deere Dealer.)  He had gotten onto the John Deere website that posted service manager jobs available across the country.  He clicked on Iowa.  Three service manager positions available.  Two of them were on the Iowa/Nebraska border, which would not work.  The other one - Southeast Iowa - which means, if you pinpoint where my brothers lived, the job opening was within an hour of 3 of them, and only a couple hours from the other.

Now, the interesting thing, is that we were actually planning a drive to Iowa to hook up with my brothers and aunts/uncles/cousin at Old Country Buffet in Iowa City that coming Saturday.

Brent had the contact name to call for the John Deere store in Sigourney, Iowa.  Bob Sinclair, owner.  However, Brent did not have time to call him from work.  Being the impatient and insistent lady that I am, I gave the owner a call on my husband's behalf, with his approval of course.  ;)  I talked with Mr. Sinclair for an hour!  He was asking me all kinds of questions, as I was promoting all my husband's experience, accomplishments, and awards won as a service manager in both the auto and agriculture industry.  I am hubby's biggest cheerleader.  ;)

I must have done a good job, because Mr. Sinclair wanted to meet Brent right away.  I told him we were going to be in Iowa over the weekend.  He wanted to talk with Brent that night.  Brent was on the phone a looooong time.   After getting off the phone, he let us know that he had an interview Saturday morning, the same weekend we were meeting with family.  Mr. Sinclair also told Brent to bring his wife to the interview.

Oh, this is only the beginning of the story.....keep reading.

We were all excited.  Of course, we talked about all the scenarios and what if's that were playing out in our minds.  Brent and I were praying.   It would take a miracle to move us.  We had no idea what to expect.  We had not even had the interview, but knew we wanted to move - a fresh start.

As I was in prayer (mid-week), seeking God to help us make wise decisions and to reveal His will to us, I was given a vision.  I am serious...a vision.  All I saw in my mind, was a white house with a big front porch.  I went out to Brent and said, "We are moving to Iowa, and God has a house for us."

We did not have good internet service at the time, but I did a little looking at what rental prices were like in the area the job was located.  Couldn't find much, but was able to get a hold of one man with a rental house available in the country.  We set up a time to meet him Friday afternoon.

So, Brent took Friday off.  We drove to Iowa and met the man with the rental.  He was a nice guy.  The house was a consideration.  We decided to drive to Sigourney and look at the town and find out where the John Deere Store was located.  After that, we headed to my brother's house.  We stayed the weekend with him.  Saturday morning, Brent, Brooklynne, and I headed to the interview.  The other children stayed with my brother.  We were to hook up in Iowa City with family later that evening.

We arrived to Sigourney Tractor and Implement (STI) mid-morning, and were greeted warmly.  Mr. Sinclair took us into his office and we visited some - get to know you things.  I had no idea that he had set up a local "friend/customer/realtor" to take me out for the rest of the morning to tour the little Iowa town and show me houses for sale!  Well, after talking with him, Brent went to get a tour of the store and take some tests.  Brooky and I went out on the town.

Keep in mind, folks, this is small town Iowa.  :)  Toured the downtown (which has a nice square); drove by the city park/ball fields, the local restaurants (George's has the best pizza!), the schools; shown the houses for sale in the community.  Didn't take long,  ;)  But I liked it!

I felt badly about the houses for sale part, however, as I had to tell my "tour guide" that we were unable to buy a house at that time and needed to find something to rent.

After the tour, I went back to the store.  Brent was still testing, so a few guys offered to take Brooky and me out for lunch up town at George's.  One of the men was named Jeff.  Very outgoing and friendly man.  We talked a lot at lunch.  I mentioned to Jeff that we could not buy a home and instead needed to find a rental.  I also asked him if he knew the man (I gave Jeff his name) that showed us the rental house to see if he knew anything about him. 

Jeff replied, "No, I do not know him.  But if you are looking for a place, I know of  a house for sale.  The couple selling are customers of ours.  I am sure they would rent it to you.  It is just south of town a couple miles.  I will drive you out there after lunch."

Folks, you need to remember that back in IL, I had caught the homesteading bug.  Also, I am a Little House/pioneer fan and my husband is an avid bow hunter.

Well...we took a drive south a couple miles and pulled up to a house in the country.  I about died.  Can you guess?  It was the white house with the big front porch!  The one in my vision! 

The house was empty, as the owners, Tim and Theresa Hoffman, had just built a new house a few country blocks over.  Jeff thought the house would be unlocked, but it wasn't.  He called the Hoffman's to see if they could show us the house (that was for sale - not totally for sure they would rent).  They were on a cruise and would be back next week.

I told Jeff, "This is our house!  I do not care what the inside looks like.  It's ours."

I went back to the store.  Brent was finished testing.  Mr. Sinclair gave him some papers that we needed to fill out and fax back, and told Brent that he would get back to him next week. 

I told Brent about the house and that he needed to see it.

"Brent, it is the house I saw in the vision!"

We drove by it.  His jaw dropped.  We looked at the property.  50 acres:  38 acres timber, 10 acres tillable, pasture, yard, barns...

We met the family for supper and told them all about the day.  Sunday we made the four hour drive home - still not knowing if Brent would get the job offer and no other details about the house.

Stay tuned for the second half of part 4.  You will never believe what happened the 2 weeks following.  It will knock your socks off...   ;)







      





1 comment: