"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I want to ride my bicycle...



Sunday afternoon, I bought a bicycle!  One of the things we were looking forward to about town living was family bike rides.  Everyone else in the family had a bike, except me.  I put off getting one all summer due to the fact that we were so overwhelmed with house remodeling.  It seemed that there was just not enough time to fit a bike ride in.

What is the big deal, you might ask?  Folks, I have not ridden a bike for 10 years!  10 years!!!!  I went for three bike rides on Sunday alone :-)  I will confess...my thighs burned after pedaling three blocks on flat road - that is how out of shape I am.  UGH!  Goodness, I remember riding my bike for miles when I was younger, and my legs didn't hurt one bit.  I am old.  :-(

Are any of my readers fans of the Walton's?  If so, you may remember Season 1; Episode 22 - "The Bicycle".  Here is the description of the episode sandwiched between two quotes from John Boy: 

"Times were hard when I was growing up in the 1930s and many people tried to escape those times by living in other worlds created for them by glossy magazines and the movies. My own family was so close and we were so involved with our everyday lives that we didn't seem to need those dream worlds. So it came as a surprise when one day we discovered our mother had a dream of her own."

Olivia is frustrated by the challenges of running the family and her household duties. She fears that she will be stuck doing dishes and mending clothes instead of singing in the church choir. When John-Boy fails to do an errand for her she makes her way down to Ike's to do it herself. Olivia sees a bicycle for sale and with Ike's prodding she gives it a try. This is just the sort of release and freedom that Olivia needs. The bicycle becomes a symbol of escape from her usual routine. She is offered the lead position in the church choir. 

"My mother never sang in grand opera but her voice never failed to fill our house with a glad song as she went about the job of caring for us all. I can still remember when the hour grew late, I would be writing in my room and she would be working at some chore in the kitchen and her voice would drift upward."

First off, let me say that I am not looking to be in a church choir.  HA!  (However I would love to author a book or be an inspirational speaker for women.)  I do understand how Olivia felt.  I identified with her on Sunday when I rode my bike for the first time - it felt freeing.  I loved the wind blowing in my face while coasting down a hill; enjoyed looking at other homes besides my own.  The fresh air was a delight.  My life can tend to feel mundane at times with my responsibilities of being a stay-at-home mom and homeschooling family.  It is amazing how one little bike ride or walk a day can give me a fresh perspective on life.  I love caring for my family and educating my children.  They are truly a blessing from the Lord.  Sometimes, we just need a reminder :-)  Getting alone with my thoughts, releasing some stress tension, and enjoying the outdoors seems to do just that!

If you can identify with some of those same feelings, get on your bike...alone...and ride like the wind!  :-)

Have a great Tuesday, folks!   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment