"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all." - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Watching With Great Joy...

The past couple days, I have tried to take my own advice to slow down and live in the moment. It has brought me more joy than I have had in a long time. I have enjoyed my children while watching, listening, and talking with them. Yesterday morning, I listened to my oldest daughter singing along with her music while getting ready to go on a trip to MN. I watched my youngest son pick up a book to read on his own several times, which blessed me greatly, as he was my late reader. He even read his own math story problems to himself, correctly answering all the problems. I saw the second youngest son step up with maturity in helping me around the house. The five of us went out to eat for dinner last night, and the boys recited Psalm 23 to Dad, then told him how they learned about Samson that day. The youngest had lots of insight accompanied with many questions about God's ways. I was smiling big on the inside.

Most of the time, I hate to confess, I am in a hurry to get things done around the house, only half listening and nodding “uh-huh” more times than not. Focusing on me or things really depletes my joy while bringing on unnecessary stress.

Do you know what I have determined? I have wonderful children, and so do you!!!

Somehow, in this hectic, fast-paced world, full of activities and running, we need to find the time - make the time - to “just be”. Sometimes we get so busy “doing” to try to give our children all the opportunities the world tells us they need to have, that we miss out on the greatest opportunity of “just being” which is the most priceless gift they must have.

Take time this week to “just be” and enjoy your kiddos. They are a precious gift from God to be trained, loved, and greatly enjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment